Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Perfect Love

Perfect love drives out fear.  Wow!  That statement fills me with awe.  God loves us and in fact, God is love.  I could meditate on these verses all day and still be amazed at God's love for us.  Here I am, a person amongst billions of others here on this planet, and God knows me.  He loves me.  I didn't earn His love.  Actually, I've sinned against God more than I care to admit.  I fall short of the perfect example that Jesus set for me every day.  I don't deserve His love, but He gives it freely.  He loves me in spite of my shortfalls, flaws, and sin.

Many of us search for perfect love in other people or in the things we accumulate.  Some of us are even blessed to have close friendships, wonderful marriages, and sweet obedient children.  But friends sometimes wound us, spouses sometimes hurt us, and children sometimes defy us.  Even our best earthly relationships will never truly be perfect.  People aren't perfect - we fall short.

Thankfully, we can choose to forgive the thoughtless actions of others.  And I certain hope that my friends, husband, and children will forgive me when I fall short.  We should strive to forgive others as God forgives us.  When we choose to forgive and to see other people as God sees them, we get a glimpse of what perfect love looks like.  

God loves us so much that He sent his only Son to die on a cross.  Jesus, who had no sin, died for me and for you, so that we could be forgiven and spent eternity in Heaven.  That is perfect love!

3 comments:

  1. What a great post! That verse is one of my favorites and so powerful. It is so true, that if we look to earthly relationships to fill us we will never be satisfied. Thanks for this reminder of God's perfect love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this reminder that we all have fallen short of what God would desire, and yet He loves and forgives us, and extends grace and mercy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That statement filled me with awe this week too, and so many are. My book already looks worn out. This is my 7th study and the first time a book has looked like this one. Thanks so much for sharing. I enjoyed reading your blog. Debbie W. (OBS Facebook Group Leader)

    ReplyDelete